Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Retiring Numbers

It is time for a post that has nothing to do with the Mitchell report; nothing to do with moves the Mets have made, or are trying to make, during the off-season, nothing to do with the Mets awful decline this past season.

Growing up, as a big baseball fan and much less interested in other sports, this time of year was tough for me. I would actually start counting down the weeks until pitchers and catchers report, then to the start of spring training games and ultimately to the start of the season. So, in that vain, this post is just one to allow fans to recall some of their greatest memories, but in a round-about way.

This past season, when the Mets brought Ricky Henderson on board, he was given the number 24 to wear. It was the first time since Willie Mays wore that number for the Mets that anyone has been given that number to wear. Of course Mays only finished his career with the Mets and his brilliant numbers were put up with the Giants (both in New York and San Francisco). Mays’ number was never retired, and it can probably be debated whether it should have been (of course it should be with the Giants, but he really did not accomplish much in a Met uniform).

Still, that brings up the fact that the Mets have only chose to retire three numbers (and four altogether). The Mets have retired Casey Stengel’s 37, Gil Hodges’ 14 and Tom Seaver’s 41. They have also retired, as has all of baseball, Jackie Robinson’s 42.

So, are there any other numbers you feel the Mets should have retired? It doesn’t mater if it is a moot point because others have worn them since. It is just your feelings about who the team SHOULD have honored by doing this. There are a few players, for me, who come to mind. Of course you are free to disagree (isn’t it nice of me to give you permission).

I would have liked the Mets to retire 36 in honor of Jerry Koosman. He was one of the best left handers of his generation. He had a great pick-off move for which he never received credit (but Steve Carlton did say he stole Koosman’s pick-off move). He played on some terrible teams and he kept his focus. He was fun to watch, and a personal favorite.

Another man I thought the Mets should have honored was Tug McGraw. Not only, as a reliever, did he have good numbers, he was the backbone of the ’73 Mets, coming up with the phrase “You gotta believe”. He also understood the importance of being a showman. So I would have retired 45 in honor of Tug!

I still debate the next two but I think it would be appropriate for the Mets to honor these next two players. One is Keith Hernandez. While, by things Hernandez has said, I don’t think he is one of the nicest human beings and I still have not forgiven him for admitting that he game up on the ’86 Mets in game 6, he had very good numbers and his leadership was crucial. As a result, I think he earned his number 17 being retired.

The final player I think deserves the honor is Mike Piazza. Number 31 should be retired because Piazza put up strong numbers, was fun to watch, understood how to play in New York and for years was the face of the team.

So there you have it, the additional numbers I think should be retired. Again, I may have left some out, but feel free to voice your opinion on the topic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I mostly disagree with you on this one, bud, but great subject. To have a number retired, my criteria is that the player must transcend in some way, either by numbers or what they meant to the franchise. I just can't stand it when teams go too far and seemingly retire or otherwise honor everyone and their cousin (see the Redskins circle at their stadium). Being a Dallas Mavericks fan, it drives me nuts to see Brad Davis' jersey retired when he was never better than the fourth or fifth best player on their team, while Mark Acguire isn't recognized. Getting back to the Mets, I see where you are on Koosman, although I don't know that he is transcendant, and I'm more apt to agree on McGraw, because he arguably defined a generation of Mets fans and coined a phrase that has been stolen by so many others over the years.

Texmet out.