Monday, April 20, 2009

Let's Go Mets!

Baseball season is underway and it is time for me to get back to posting on this blog. I have a number of thoughts and will probably be posting a number of them over the next few days. First, let’s take a look at the Mets and discuss my thoughts on how they look this year.

There play has not been terrible but they certainly have not gotten off to a terrific start and I have my concerns (I did heading into the season). While I give Omar credit for addressing concerns about the bullpen, I still think it has some problems. If the Mets have a lead after seven innings, we are in good shape with Putz and K-Rod. If, however, the starter does not go seven innings, I have my concerns. A number of the arms are new and/or unproven and I have concerns. Beyond that, Jerry Manual seems to really like the lefty-righty switch. How long can you go with using three different pitchers in one inning because you keep switching a lefty for a righty? Put a guy in there and have some faith!

Starting pitching is also a concern. I like Livan Hernandez as the number five starter and certainly I like Johan as the number one starter. Pelfrey, who is probably the number two starter is still unproven. Last year he came into his own in the middle of the season and did well but he has yet to show great numbers for a full year. Ollie is WAY TOO inconsistent and John Maine is coming back from an injury. Sure, there is no indication that Maine is suffering effects of the injury but he still has to show he can come back strong.

I have concerns about Delgado at first and hope his resurgence the second part of last year is the real deal. Castillo at second looks much better than he did last year but we are dropping him to the number 8 spot and expecting much better numbers from him. That is cause for concern. Reyes and Wright at SS and 3rd I like.

I like Daniel Murphy but he is still unproven. Beltran has put up some good numbers but still, as far as I am concerned, has not developed into the type of player making the money he is getting or the type of player we saw for Houston a few years ago during the Playoffs. Church in Right is still coming back from his injury and I don’t know how he will fair. As for Gary Sheffield, I have MEGA problems with him playing the outfield (and playing on the Mets) but that is for tomorrow.

Hopefully, everything comes together this year, despite my concerns, and they have a FANTASTIC season.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: