Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Examining The Outfield

When it comes to the Mets outfield, there have been a lot of questions asked and statements made. So, it is time for me to add my opinion. The Mets have said that they are content to use a platoon of Fernando Tatis and Daniel Murphy in left, presumably figuring Beltran in center and Ryan Church returning to right.

Truth is, that is not such a bad option. While there is no guarantee, Tatis was on a tear last year. A seasoned veteran, a capable hitter, a good bat off the bench, a right-handed hitter to tackle the lefties. He would be complimented by Daniel Murphy, a left-handed hitter. Again, no guarantee but Murphy appears to have a bright future, a nice, even swing, an eager player, and as Met beat reporter Marty Noble points out, the younger guy would get the majority of the playing time since there are more right-handed pitchers than left-handed ones. That platoon could work. Still, if the Mets could upgrade, I would not complain. So, how should they upgrade? Let me first say what I don’t think they should do.

There was talk yesterday about how the Mets had expressed an interest in Andruw Jones of the Dodgers and might look to trade for him. The thinking went something like Jones and Castillo both had subpar years and perhaps the teams could swap the stars. I would not like to see Jones playing for the Mets. I don’t believe that last year was a fluke. The player is on the downswing and considering they are keeping Carlos Delgado at first, I don’t think the Mets need to add another old, washup player, the kind that Minaya often seem to like to get, to the mix. Leave Andruw alone.

Then, of course, there is Manny. More and more teams continue to express a lack of interest for ManRam. Apparently Omar likes him but ownership doesn’t. The thinking is, if his price tag comes down and if he is willing to sign a one or two year deal, how could the Mets pass him up. As the Dodgers, perhaps the only suitors of Manny, look to talk with Adam Dunn and investigate other options, Manny could be looking for a new home at a discounted rate. Ramirez is a great hitter, and an asset to a team WHEN HE WANTS TO BE. I think Manny comes with too much baggage. If I could have his numbers without his personality, I would say they should do it in a heartbeat. Taking Manny, however, I believe was ensure no postseason for the Mets this year (again). Then, consider the fact that beyond the usual antics, if Manny isn’t happy because he did not get the deal he thought he was worth, both in number of years and in salary, will he give you 100%? Will he be willing to play? This is a guy who sat out with the Redsoxs when the Yankees came to town and Boston could have used his bat. No, I say leave Manny alone.

I believe there is another option available for the Mets and apparently, so do some of the New York sports commentators. With the Yankees having picked up Mark Texiera, it means Nick Swisher has to play the outfield. That give the Yankees a very crowded outfield with Swisher, Damon, Matsui, Melkey and Nady. The conventional wisdom is the Yankees will look to move one of the outfielders and while they might like to move Matsui (or possibly Damon), Xavier Nady may be the player they have to move. If I were the Mets, I would look to trade for Nady. I might go for Matsui, but I would really like Nady back in Flushing. I think the Mets have the talent to make such a trade and he would be a lot cheaper than Manny and not be a trouble maker. Come on Omar, make it happen!

No comments: