Monday, December 29, 2008

Starting Pitching Thoughts

It is obvious that the Mets need at least one more starting pitcher and probably two. As I look at things, I am surprised (a little) that AJ Burnett was considered a bigger draw than Derek Lowe. Burnett maybe younger but he has been injury prone, he may have more strikeouts and be able to pitch a better game than Lowe, but Lowe is more consistent, from start to start.

Considering the Yankees signed CC and Burnett and the Redsoxs have come to an agreement with Brad Penny, Lowe should be the Mets for the taking. They should have little competition and should be able to sign him for a reasonable amount of money, reasonable as far as baseball salaries go.

The Mets could clearly get by with just one more pitcher, especially if they can sign Lowe, who would become the number two man in the staff with Pelfrey and Maine becoming three and four and perhaps Neise, or another young kid in the system being the fifth starter. Still, I would like to see the Mets sign one more starter and give Neise another year in AAA. In addition, while I think Pelfrey is the real deal, last year was the first year he came into his own and I don’t think we can be 100% sure of him just yet. So, who else would I like to see the Mets get?

My number one choice is completely unrealistic. I would love to see the Mets trade for Jake Peavy. I, however, am not convinced the Padres want to trade him. If they did, based on the interest the Cubs had, I think he would be in Chicago. A few years ago, the Astros acted like Roy Oswalt was on the trading block to see what they could get for him but they were never serious about trading him. I think the same is true with San Diego and Peavy. In addition, think what the Mets would have to give up to get him and think how much they would have to pay to keep him as I would imagine things would be similar to the way it worked with Johan, that before a deal was finalized, the Mets would have to work out a contract extension.

The next option is Oliver Perez. He is young, he is a left hander and while being inconsistent, he has done better with Met coaches than he was doing elsewhere. The Mets really revitalized his career. Consider he was the throw in player in the Nady deal. The problem with Ollie, as I see it, is the amount of money he will get for being a mediocre pitcher. Last year, through arbitration, he was paid way more than he should have been getting. As a free agent, with Boras as his agent, even if the price comes down, Perez will be making more than he made last year. I honestly don’t believe he is worth that much money.

That leaves Randy Wolf. Wolf is not a front end of the rotation guy but he is a left handed pitcher. If the Mets can sign Lowe, I think Lowe would be an excellent pickup for the fifth spot. He should not come at too great of a cost and could prove effective. If not, then you bring Neise up mid-year.

I would like to see the Mets pickup Lowe and Wolf.

No comments: