Saturday, October 6, 2007

Glavine Gone?

Tom Glavine has decided not to exercise his option for next year and that means he will most likely not be pitching in a Mets uniform this coming year. Of course, the Mets could still try to sign him as a free agent. While upper brass does not expect that to happen, the indication is the would like to sign him.

I hope that does not happen. When I read on the Mets’ website that Glavine was considering whether or not to exercise his option for next year (thus ensuring he would pitch in a Met uniform next season), I was a little disgusted.

On the plus side, Glavine is a consummate professional and he has over 300 wins. I do not take that away from him. I think Glavine might make an excellent pitching coach some day. It is also important to note that I did not feel this way due to Glavine’s performance in the final Met game of 2007, at least not in total.

If you look at Glavine’s body of work for the season, it seems that many times when the Mets got him a lead, or scored a few runs to get back in a game that he was pitching, the very next half inning Glavine would give up a run or more to the opposing team. I am a big believer in the importance of getting the side in order after your team gets you a lead, or after your team scores a couple of runs to seemingly get back in a game.

If you check out this blog and look at my posts, you will see this is something I have been saying about Glavine throughout the year. Glavine was once a dominant pitcher. Dominant enough that he won 300 games in his career. He gets credit for that, but he is no longer the pitcher he once was. I, for one, will not be sorry to see Glavine NOT WEARING a Met uniform this coming year.

No comments: