Thursday, October 4, 2007

Sour Grapes?

Well, there is still more baseball to be played. I think the Redsox won a game yesterday, but honestly I am not sure. In the past, whether my team has been in postseason or not (and most of the time, not), I have always been interested in postseason and followed most of the games. This year is different. As I said in a previous post, maybe it is sour grapes, but honestly I do not think that is the case.

Last year, Tommy Lasorda did a series of commercials about the postseason and how we watched because we were fans and it was bigger than being a fan of any one team. I identified. I understood. I agreed.

This year it is different. This year it was our year to shine. This year it was our year to get to the World Series. This year was supposed to be the first time we finished with back-to-back division titles. This year we completely blew it. It was as it someone let the air out of our tires or as if we were punched in the stomach, knocking the wind out of us. It is not that I am no longer a baseball fan. It is not that I do not care about postseason (well, maybe right now I don’t, but I will later), it simply is that I have nothing left. I am currently not able to sit down and watch a baseball game. And, right now, I honestly do not care who moves on, or who wins the series. If you consider that sour grapes then so be it. I do not think that is the case.

I also saw on the Mets website that Tom Glavine is considering whether or not he wants to exercise his option for next year and pitch for the Mets. I will have a lot to say on that topic tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I feel the same disinterest in the postseason, I still follow baseball and something happened yesterday that I've got to comment on: the firing of Jockety in St. Louis. What are they, nuts? They guy has built a sustained winner for a decade and they decide to get rid of him? This smells like personality conflict and failure to communicate. Hey guys, take a look at the San Diego Chargers handling of Schottenheimer and how that turned out. But maybe, just maybe, it is the Baseball Gods way of paying them back for beating the Mets last year!