Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Add Jorge Sosa To The Mix

The Mets start the season the beginning of next week and they still are not sure who the fifth starter will be. Now, the truth is, the Mets can hold off on a fifth starter for a little bit. Due to the schedule and the expected rainouts you can usually get by the April with just four starters. Still, not making a decision now is simply delaying the inevitable.

Up until now, everyone had thought the competition was between El Duque and Mike Pelfrey. Now, according to the Mets site, they are considering Jorge Sosa for the role. Are you kidding me?!?! Sosa, who has done nothing this spring to establish himself is now getting consideration?

The thinking goes that he has done okay and that Pelfrey and Hernandez have done nothing to distinguish themselves either. Personally, I disagree. I know Pelfrey was hit hard the last time out but my understanding is, up until that time, he had pitched well.

I understand, as you get later in the spring, you want to see more of an improvement. Still, it appears to me that one poor start is taking Pelfrey out of consideration. I think the Mets need to let Pelfrey know this is his slot and he does not have to worry about someone taking it away. With that, another year under his belt, and a stronger pitching staff this year than last year, I think Pelfrey will grow into that fifth starter slot. Give him the opportunity and see what happens!

No comments: