Sunday, March 16, 2008

Pedro Looks Good

Pedro finally pitched in a “Real” game this spring, at least as much as spring training games are real games. He was supposed to start one earlier but that one got washed away. He did pitch in a simulated game but, honestly, that is not the same thing, so today Martinez pitched.

The good news is he looked pretty good. He went four innings and did not give up a run. He did give u[ four hits and a walk, but no runs. It was not the greatest of outings, but it was effective. Not that this really matters for Martinez right now. Since it was his first spring start, he was more interested in location and movement. That is the way it should be. Still, as a fan, even though I know it means nothing, it is good to hear that he pitched well. Hopefully that continues through the season.

Psychologically, I feel better knowing that Pedro pitched well. Psychologically it is a relief that he did this following a poor outing by Johan as he was beat up by the Cardinals. Again, I know this is spring training. I know this is when you work on a number of things. I really have no concerns about Johan Santana come the start of the regular season. Still, somewhere in the back of my mind, it would be rewarding to see him pitching lights out.

While Pedro’s outing helps make me feel better in terms of picking up Johan, it also makes me feel better knowing that maybe, just maybe, Pedro will be returning to his old form. This could give the Mets a one-two punch that rivals Seaver and Koosman, Gooden and Darling, or Craig Swan and Nino Espinosa (sorry, just could not resist that last one).

I am still excited about the start of the regular season!

No comments: