Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Gary Keeps Us Rollin'

In an earlier post I objected to the Mets getting Gary Sheffield. One of the reasons I objected had to do with him vetoing a trade to the Mets many years ago (or at least making it unlikely for the Mets to continue pursuing him based on some comment he made about not trying). My feelings on this matter have not changed. I was also critical, however, of his playing prowess. The fact that Detroit let him go even though they were willing to pick up most of his salary and the fact that his Spring Training numbers were so low, led me to that conclusion. On the second issue, clearly I was wrong.

With Carlos Delgado out, it does make a huge difference having Sheffield in the middle of the lineup. He has been coming through and showing power as well as the ability to drive in runs and get key hits. The fact is, without Sheffield the Mets would have lost last night’s game and their record on the just ended road trip would be a lot worse than 5-5.

I am getting a little annoyed at the reviewing of the homeruns, however. The Mets have been involved in three consecutive games where a homerun was reviewed (or maybe it was three of their last four games). Last night, it was a Sheffield homerun that was reviewed. Personally, I did not think the ball went out of the park but it had previously been ruled a homerun by the umpires and there was no conclusive evidence (I agree with this) to indicate the umpires missed a call. Still, it was six minutes in the dugout while the homerun was reviewed. I think something has to be done to reign this is so we don’t end up with way too many homeruns being reviewed (and occasionally eliminating the momentum of the team). Still, right now, with the Mets winning these games, I’m happy!

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: