Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pelfrey, Santos And The Castro Trade

It appears that Mike Pelfrey is establishing himself as the number 2 pitcher on the staff. Once again, after taking a little time to get going, Pelfrey is looking dominant. Unfortunately he did not get a win last night. Still, he pitched well and kept the Mets in the game. This allowed them to win it in extra innings.

I think if the Mets can pick up one more strong pitcher, they can be dominant. It would be nice to get one of the elite but the Mets, I don’t think, have enough to trade for such a pitcher. Perhaps they can get via free agency but, that assumes the truly good pitchers are not traded away during the season so other teams can get something for what they are about to lose. It also means the Mets don’t get another pitcher until the off season and I don’t want to wait that long. I still have dreams of the Mets getting Jake Peavy from the Padres, but I know that is not going to happen.

Still, it was Pelfrey’s strong performance that even allows me to think this way. Yesterday belonged to Pelfrey and to Omir Santos, who drove in both Met runs. Santos also had his place on the Mets cemented as the Mets traded Ramon Castro to the Whitesox.

I don’t mind that the Mets traded Castro. I understand the move. Still, I hope it turns out to be a smart one. While I understand the problems with Castro, he is a power-hitting catcher who has a strong arm. That should have some value on the trade market. The Mets are getting a pitcher, Lance Broadway. It is true you can never have too much pitching but Broadway does have an ERA over 5. I hope that Broadway proves this deal was a good one but I question it.

Hopefully, it all works out well for the ‘Good Guys!’

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: