Monday, August 27, 2007

A Minor Setback

I did not watch much of last night’s game and I am glad that was the case. Whatever parts I did catch, the Mets just did not look good. They seemed to avoid getting the big hit when necessary, and it appeared as though they had opportunities to get back in the game. The pitching did not appear to do well either. John Maine did not have it again and the bullpen failed.

After looking so good the first two games of the series against the Dodgers, everything appeared to be flat for the Mets yesterday. It almost seems that every time they are on ESPN, televised on a Sunday night, they just do not look particularly good.

Still, I am not frustrated or depressed. They took two of three from the Dodgers and they have been looking much more like a playoff team of late. Things have been going well for this team. I think they will do well in the four game set in Philadelphia and if history is any indication, Atlanta will take two of three from the Mets. The truth is even with the Braves having our number, I feel we can still (and will still) finish in first in the NL East.

The one problem I have is, while I want the Mets to do well against the Phills, I would rather see the Phillies be the wildcard then the Braves (I think we can handle Philadelphia much easier than Atlanta). The problem then is, if the Mets take three out of four, or four out of four in Philadelphia (I want to see that happen and think it will happen) and they drop two of three to Atlanta, it could very well but the Braves back in second place in the NL East. That gives Atlanta a better shot of being the wildcard and as I said I would prefer that not happen.

Still, I am positive and ready for the series that starts tonight.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: