Thursday, August 2, 2007

A Win, Oh Boy, How Exciting

So, the Mets won a game yesterday, I am thrilled. Can’t you just hear the sarcasm dripping from my voice. Yes, of course, I am pleased they won. Yes, their bats came alive yesterday. Yes, every victory is important. Yes, they are in a pennant race, and in first place at that. I, however, am not particular excited or thrilled with yesterday’s win.

Let me first put in a disclaimer that I had a meeting last night and then was trying to fix my computer, so I did not catch much of the game. What I know, however, was the Mets, after struggling, jumped out to a seven to five lead early, I believe by the end of the third inning. From that point on, the bullpen held them to one run. Fortunately, the Mets were able to hold the lead, but how many times have we seen teams chip away at a lead, and the Mets not get anything back in return. The need to show that even after a big lead, the can consistently add a few runs here or there. This is not the team that struck fear into their opponents last year.

Last year, the formula for success was score early and keep adding to it. Last year, the formula for success was, even when you do not score early, late inning heroics can win the game. Last year was the year we should have been able to get to the World Series, and we didn’t. This year’s team is much less successful and capable. I do not know, may that is the formula and the Mets can actually do something. Still, as I have said on this blog a number of times, I keep waiting for them to pull of a string of victories, and they don’t. When was the last time this team swept a series from an opponent (Ideally three games or more, but at this point, I am so disgusted and disappointed, I will even be happy if someone can point to a two game sweep.).

Well, today is an afternoon game. Maybe I will feel better if they can take two in a row (and two out of three) from the Brewers. Hopefully they can and they will be able to restore my enthusiasm and excitement.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: