Thursday, April 3, 2008

Clicking On All Cylinders!

Yesterday was just a fun game to watch. Everything seemed to go well for the Mets who scored early and often. I liked the fact that all the Mets seemed to be hitting. David Wright looks good as dos Beltran. I was pleased to see that it was Carlos Delgado who drove in the first run for the Mets. I believe it is a lot easier to get a hit or an RBI when you are already up by a large margin. For me, driving in a run in a game when it is close, or still close, says more.

Other positive signs for me, not just yesterday but during the first series in Florida had to do with Church and Pagan. Seeing that these two are hitting and coming through is a great sign. I don’t think Schneider looks quite comfortable hitting yet, but I think that will come and if his defense stays strong, I have little concern there.

What was most impressive to me, however, was Oliver Perez. Following the injury to Pedro Martinez, Ollie seemed to turn it up a notch. He only walked two and struck out eight. He looked strong overall and gave the Mets the pitching performance they needed.

The one thing that bothers me about the game, and this is the fact that I am a throwback to another generation is, the Mets used four pitchers in the game. The scored early and often and there was no reason to use so many pitchers. Okay, maybe you take Perez out after six or seven innings to make sure he does not get injured, but to bring in three additional pitchers just seems like overkill.

Still, overall, it was a great win for the Mets and things seemed to be clicking on all cylinders yesterday.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: