Thursday, June 26, 2008

I'm Not Convinced

Well, the Mets won a game. Forgive me if I am not thrilled—I’ve seen it before. The Mets lost the first two games to the worst team in baseball and then we are supposed to forget about it because they salvaged the last game in the series. The Mets keep their streak alive of never being swept at home by a last place team (of course, for many of those years, the Mets WERE the last place team so I am not sure how noteworthy that statistic is.)

The Mets jumped out to an 8-0 lead after three innings. Certainly that is encouraging. It was encouraging to see David Wright hit two homeruns after a day off and to see Reyes hit a three run shot. Still, with eight runs in the first three innings, you get greedy and want more. I believe the Mets did not have a hit after the third inning and if they did, it was only one or two.

I will believe this team is for real when they play a full nine innings like they should be doing and when they continue to play game after game like that. Otherwise, this is a 500 team at best and that is unfortunate.

On a positive note, I was happy to see that Runge is serving a one game suspension for bumping Jerry Manuel. I do not hold anything against the umpires. They work hard and get little credit. Still, if a player or manager did that to an umpire, the player or manager would be suspended. It is nice to see the same rules apply to the umpire.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: