Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Mets Are Not A Good Team!

The Mets returned to Shea Stadium, Jerry Manuel made his home debut as manager of the Mets and Johan Santana, the ace of the Mets staff, started the game. The Mets were playing the team with the worst record in baseball. This was a game the Mets should have won but they didn’t.

The bottom line is, as I have said before, the Mets just are not that good. I don’t want to hear about how the runs were unearned against Santana. The person who is supposed to be the most dominant pitcher in baseball today had the bases loaded with two outs and the pitcher at the plate, an American League pitcher who does not get to bat. Santana promptly game up a grand slam to Felix Hernandez and as far as I am concerned, there is no excuse for that.

The Mets did get Hernandez, certainly a strong pitcher by any stretch of the imagination, out of the game. It wasn’t the way you usually force a pitcher out, however. On a wild pitch, with Beltran on third base, Hernandez went to cover the plate. Beltran slid and Hernandez got spiked and was forced to leave the game. I was sorry to see him get injured but certainly I figured we could do something with the bullpen of the worst team in baseball. I was wrong. The bullpen held the Mets offense in check and we lost the first game of the home stand, the first game Manuel was managing for the Mets in New York.

Still a small sample but through six games now, Jerry Manuel has the Mets at three and three, playing 500 ball, for the team that, I believe, has the second (or maybe third) highest payroll in baseball. I said it earlier in this post, in previous posts and I’ll say it again, “The Mets just are not that good!”

I’m still pulling for them, however.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: