Wednesday, June 25, 2008

SSDD!

The Seatle Mariners bring the worst record in baseball to Shea Stadium and many fans are thinking two out of three or sweep and what happens? The Mariners take the first two games from the Mets and make the Mets look pitiful. I thought Monday night’s loss was bad but yesterday the Mariners just spanked the Mets all over the place. The team that has scored the fewest runs in baseball won 11-0 and in the series, they have outscored the Mets 16-2 with a 5-2 loss on Monday.

There were some things I liked. I liked the fire Jerry Manuel has. I liked the fact he stuck up for his player and got ejected from the game and I liked his candor after the game during the manager’s press conference. It is much more refreshing, as a fan, to hear a manager say, “We’ve played awful and we need to make changes,” instead of, “We are not playing up to our potential. I need to talk to Ollie but I know we will turn it around”.

Listening to Matt Yallof and Ron Darling talk after the game, Darling said something to the effect of Manuel speaking openly and candidly and if you are Oliver Perez, following Manuel’s comments, he can’t be feeling to great. Message to Darling—“Perez has been stinking it up the whole season after STEALING millions of dollars in an arbitration deal. He shouldn’t be feeling great regardless of what Manuel said!”

What I didn’t like about yesterday, beyond the fact they had no pitching and no hitting is, the fact that Manuel showed passion and got kicked out of a game, the fact that Carlos Beltran did the same thing, did nothing to spark the Mets or get them going. Hopefully it will have a positive impact even if it was not seen in yesterday’s game.

I still come back to what I’ve been saying, this team is not that good. It has nothing to do with not playing up to potential, apparently they just are not very good. They need to do something to get going.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: