Monday, July 21, 2008

The Cincy Series

The Mets play in Cincinnati was far from great but they did come away with a split and as far as I am concerned, that is good enough. Following a victory on Thursday, making it ten straight wins, the Mets lost on Friday. In one sense, I was actually glad they lost.

Don’t get me wrong, of course I would rather a win than a loss. The problem with the Mets this season, however, is every time they get on a roll, they follow it up with a losing streak. I was curious to see how they would respond this time. Would a ten game winning streak be followed by a five game losing streak or by winning four or five of their next six?

The Mets did lost Saturday’s game for a two game losing streak but, honestly, I do not consider two loses in a row a losing streak. That is why I felt that Sunday’s game was crucial. A lose would have meant they had a three game losing streak (and as far as I am concerned, that is a bona fide losing streak) as well as losing three out of four to the Reds.

The Mets pitching certainly tried to lose the game. Since the break, the Mets have not really had a solid pitching performance. Still, the hitting refused to let them lose. The team kept fighting until they were able to put this one in the win column. So, now it means the Mets split a four game series with the Reds and have won nine of their last 11 and 12 of their last 14. Those are numbers I am happy with.

I hope the pitching staff gets it together now and starts pitching like they were before the break. It would be great to see that happen during the upcoming series with the Phillies. Either way, they have an off day today and then three with the Phils. The two teams are tied for first and if the Mets take two of three, I will be happy. If they take all three, I will be thrilled. I certainly think this current Mets team can win at least two of the three games. I hope so, anyway!

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: