Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Strong Showing

Yesterday was a great win. It was the type of win I was waiting to see the Mets have all season. First they got to Lincecum early with Beltran hitting a three run homer in the first inning. The added a run in the fourth and in the late innings put it away. Hittingwise this was a good game and Mike Pelfrey had breathing room from the beginning.

Speaking of Pelfrey, he looked sharp. First off, after Beltran and company handed him a 3-0 lead, Pelfrey came out the next half inning and got the Giants 1-2-3. Pelfrey was in command of his game and looked good. I think it is unfortunate that in today’s day and age, even a shutout does not keep you in the game. I guess, however, it is all part of programming and if pitchers are not programmed to go more than 100-125 pitches, to have them do so can destroy a pitcher’s arm.

The bullpen came through for the Mets as well and did not give up any runs. Jerry Manuel seems now to have this team clicking on all cylinders and the Mets are only 1.5 games out of first and just half a game out of second. To hear Met announcers say the Met could realistically be in first place by the All-Star game is amazing, but true.

The one thing I need to be careful of is not to fall into the trap. I think this is for real. I certainly hope so. Still, we have seen flashes of strong play, of greatness even, only to have the Mets come back to mediocrity or horrendous play. I hope that is not the case now. I am feeling better about this team than I have in a really long time.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: