Sunday, July 13, 2008

Going For First

Who would have thunk it? A month ago, three weeks ago, even two weeks ago, I was ready to write the Mets out. Jerry Manual really seems to have turned this team around. They have won eight straight for the first time since 2006 and they are on a roll, only half a game out of first place. It will take a little luck but the Mets can realistically be in first place by themselves come the All-Star break.

The Mets need to win tonight and both Phillie and Florida need to lose, but that can happen. The worst the Mets can possible do is be a game and a half out of first. Either way, the Mets have become exciting to watch again.

Whether it is the long ball, small ball or speed, the Mets are able to get runs. Whether it is a regular like Beltran, Wright or Reyes, the Mets are getting runs. Whether it is a reserve like Easley, Tatis or Chavez, the Mets are getting runs.

I hesitate to say this but, right now if I were the Mets front office, I would not be looking at getting another player. It may be someone different every day, it may be a “no name” player but they are getting the job done and really don’t seem to need anyone else.

My only concern with that is, will it last and I see two places where the Mets definitely need help. First is first base. Carlos Delgado has certainly picked it up a notch but he went downhill so fast, I think his days are numbered at best.

The other is a left fielder. I like Moises Alou and he is a hell of a ballplayer but I do not see him ever making it back to the bigs. He has frequently been on the disabled list during his career and has spent the better part of the last two years on the DL. He is a good ballplayer and I would have signed him if the decision is mine but after seeing him come back a few times this year only to end up on the DL within the next day or two of returning, I think his career is done. So, if the Mets pick up someone at either of those positions, I see it as a long term move not a rental.

Either way, they are winning, they are showing heart and they are fun to watch again.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: