Friday, July 18, 2008

Ten Straight

The Mets keep rolling and now have a 10 game winning streak. I think I saw that they have not had such a long winning streak since 1991. It is nice to see that the break did not stop the momentum of the team.

In one sense this game was frustrating. Johan Santana is on the mound. The Mets have scored a total of 12 runs in his last six starts, combined. Now, the team scores two runs in the fourth inning. Not only was Santana unable to get them 1, 2, 3 the next half inning; not only was Santana unable to shut them down the next half inning (something which I think is very important and have blogged about this numerous times); not only was Santana unable to protect the lead, he gave up FIVE runs. That is, I believe, only the second time in his career he has given up five runs. It was not only Santana, the rest of the pitching also could not hold the lead. Pitching was not a strength yesterday.

What I liked about the game was the offense. This is the team from a couple of years ago, the team you never rule out. Every time the Mets were down, the offense came back. Even when Cincinnati had their closer on the mound, the Mets came back.

I don’t know how long the streak will go but it is fun watching this team once again. They are fighting. They are getting the pitching when the hitting is not there and the hitting when the pitching is not there. I am believing more and more in this team and think we can take the NL title. I realize they have led me down this path before but not with a 10 game winning streak. This time I think it is for real.

Let’s Go Mets!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness NY actually has one professional baseball team.