Saturday, January 26, 2008

Close To Getting Livan Hernandez

It looks like the Mets are going to get Livan Hernanadez. I have mixed reactions. Certainly the Mets need pitching and they cannot wait to see what happens with Johan Santana before making other moves. The fact the Hernandez is an innings eater is a good thing. I was surprised to find out that last year, Tom Glavine led the Mets in innings pitched, despite his age. With Glavine gone, Hernandez can fill that void. It is also pleasing to know that he is not injury prone.

Still, I have my doubts about the move. Last year he was 11-11 and finished with an ERA just under 5 (4.93). The Mets need pitching help and I do not know that this gives them the help. The thinking is he can give you innings, but giving up that many runs, he could easily be pulled before he gets deep into a game. If the offense can put up some runs, he could stay in longer, but that would be true of almost any pitcher. The bottom line is, it still is important to hold the lead.

Considering what is out there, and the need the Mets have, I guess it makes sense to sign him. Still, it is depressing that he is the best of what is currently on the market in terms of free agency. It is also depressing that this maybe the biggest move the Mets can make, pitchingwise, during the offseason.

I guess I’ll be glad to see them sign him but I wish I weren’t, I wish they would be able to obtain the type of pitcher they truly need. They need an ace of the staff and Livan Hernandez is not the answer to that need.

No comments: