Sunday, January 13, 2008

Heckling

I know when it comes to attending a baseball game, heckling has become part of the game. Most players take this in stride, and some even thrive off of it. Still, I wonder what really goes through the minds of the players and they hear comments from fans, most of whom could not even come close to doing what ball players do (even the ones who are not considered very good).

It reminds me a little bit of playing a board game, winning, and still having the loser tell you the mistakes you made. My wife does this fairly frequently and it can be annoying. I remember the first time we played backgammon. I won, but she still told me every time I made a bad move, or every time I could have made a better move. I know how frustrated I was. I felt like yelling, “why don’t you take your own advice, I am winning”. I wonder if ballplayers every feel like yelling something back to the fans along the same lines, like, “Let’s see you do better”.

The scary thing is, for as much as I hate to admit it, my wife is a better backgammon player than I am. Still, I have taken the time to learn some Backgammon strategy, so I have gotten better. Maybe if ballplayers stop and listen to what some fans have to say, they might become better as well (Probably not).

No comments: