Saturday, September 20, 2008

Back In The Highlife!

“I'll be back in the highlife again.
All the doors I closed one time will open up again.
I'll be back in the highlife again.
All the eyes that watched me once will smile and take me in.
And I'll drink and dance with one hand free,
Let the world back into me,
And oh, I'll be a sight to see
Back in the highlife again.”

The immortal words of Steve Windwood. I wrote these words since this maybe the last opportunity I have to do so when discussing the Mets this baseball season. A Met victory coupled with a Philadelphia Phillies loss has the Mets back in first, back in the highlife again. I fear that they may not stay there for long. The Mets bullpen is suspect,, at best (and as many of you are aware, I do not like the way Jerry Manuel is managing the bullpen) while the Phillies have a closer who has not blown a save all year. I do not have the number in front of me right now but, the Mets have lost too many games, important games, significant games, when they have entered the ninth inning with a lead.

So, I don’t know how long this will last. Certainly I hope at the end of the year the Mets will be in first. If they are not in first, I will settle for (but will not be happy with) the wildcard spot. Certainly Milwaukee is doing everything it can to ensure the Mets and Phills both get to post season. Knowing the Mets, they may not even get to post season but, in the words of Tug McGraw, “You Gotta Believe”.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: