Saturday, September 27, 2008

Thanks... ... ... ... FOR NOTHING!

Folks,

I’d like to tell you not to worry, that I truly believe the Mets will still come back and claim the wildcard spot. I’d like to tell you that since the Phills have not yet clinched the division, I truly think the Mets could take the NL East title. I would like to tell you that the Mets won’t choke. These are the things I would like to tell you; unfortunately I can’t. This team is toast, they are done and once again, instead of making it easy (or easier) on Met fans, they have found a way to RIP THE HEARTS out of those who loyally follow this team.

Years ago, back in 1977, when the Yankees made that remarkable comeback against the Redsox, then Redsox’s first baseman George Scott uttered a quote that has stuck with me for all these years. As the Yankees were turning up the pressure and heading to Boston for a three game set, Scott said the only definition of choke he knew was when someone put their hands around your neck and started to strangle you. The announcer, playing this comment in retrospect, at the end of the season after the Yankees ended up winning the World Series, said of the Scott quote, “That was exactly what the Yankees did (putting their hands around Boston’s collective throats).

Right now, it appears the difference between the ’77 Redsox and the 2008 Mets is, the Mets are the ones putting their hands around their own throats. Two years in a row we are going to be finished off by the Florida Marlins. This is Pathetic. The Mets should be embarrassed but they won’t be. They still get the millions of dollars (in large part because we fans are stupid enough to pay for tickets to see this team).

I would like to tell you that things will be easier this year because they screwed up last year so they have programmed fans to expect a collapse. I’d like to tell you that since the Mets never had such a huge lead this year, it is not as disappointing. I can’t honestly say these things.

This is the first time in a month that the Mets have not had at least a share of the lead in the NL East or the Wildcard. They picked a hell of a time to do it and as a result, I would like to tell you I am giving up on this team. I can’t do that either. I am just a stupid fan who continues to follow this team and hope, even expect, they will perform and come through.

They say the classic definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I continue to follow them and continue to expect them to be able to get into post-season. I guess that makes me insane and makes it time to see a Psychiatrist.

No comments: