Sunday, September 28, 2008

Gangsta

It was a great win for the Mets yesterday. Make no mistake about it. Despite my post from yesterday, it was great. Jerry Manuel, when asked about Johan’s performance after the game, said his pitcher was “Gangsta,” and I have to agree. Manuel also said that as the Mets head into tomorrow’s game (now, today, game 162), it would be impossible for his players not to be pumped up and excited.

This is where Manuel and I part company. I have mixed reactions about yesterday’s game. Watching Santana pitch was amazing. He pitched such a beautiful, dominant game, a complete game despite throwing a career high number of pitches three days earlier. Santana has made it so the final game of the season (unless we need a tiebreaker) means something (which some help from Milwaukee which lost to a Cubs team sitting most of its regulars).

My fear is, last year is still fresh in my mind. Last year the Mets should have been pumped for the final game of the season after pulling back even with the Phillies in the wildcard. Last year, following the game of John Maine’s life, with Tom Glavine (perhaps the ace of the staff) going, he allowed seven first inning runs and the season was over. To have the Mets win yesterday only to have my heart ripped out today is a real fear. I don’t believe they will automatically be pumped. I don’t believe that Oliver Perez will definitely pitch a great game. And, to a point that Gary, Keith and Ron made yesterday about the fans, particularly not being involved during Friday’s game, I think the problem was the Mets were trailing before they even came to bat; the Marlins took the crowd out of the game early. I fear that could happen again this year.

Yesterday’s win means nothing if the Mets don’t get the wildcard. Sorry, but that is exactly the way I feel. With C.C. Sabathia going for the Brewers today, the Mets have to go out and win. I realize that Sabathia is going on three days rest for something like the fourth straight time, I realize that the Cubs beat him a couple of weeks ago and I realize that the Cubs will be starting their regular lineup and that could help the Mets. Still, it is their ace and, of course, the Mets ace will not be pitching today.

If both teams do win, it will be interesting to see how a one game playoff goes as neither team will be able to use its ace. I believe I heard that the Mets would use Pedro if it came to that. Part of me thinks that would be good since he has dealt with these pressure situations before. Part of me thinks it would be bad since he has not had a great year. All of me wants a Met win today coupled with a Brewers loss so we do not even need to worry about a tiebreaker.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: