Monday, September 29, 2008

Schleptember Morn

“Again?”

“Yes, Again.”

“Surprised?”

“Unfortunately, NO!”

This was not a real conversation but it very well could have been the way a conversation went yesterday with any of my friends. In typical Met fashion, the team waited for the last day of the season to officially be eliminated.

Sure the bullpen was a problem, as it has been for the better part of the season but this team has been one of the most “unclutch” hitting teams I have ever seen. The offensive numbers are good but look at how well they did with a runner on third and less than two outs. How often were they able to get that run home? Look at the team batting average in clutch situations and I think you will see some pathetic numbers.

A friend of mine told me last year he read an article that was title Schleptember, it was about how, while many teams sprint to the finish line during baseball season, the Mets just Schlep along. That is exactly what happened again this year. It was not the historic collapse of last year but it was pathetic.

Personally, I like Jerry Manuel and think he has earned the right to stay. Omar may need to go as he brought (and bought) us a team that was too old. Minaya’s comment about how last year the Mets underachieved but this year they overachieved was just plan dumb. They would not have gone out and brought in someone like Johan Santana if they did not think he would help get them to post season. Obviously, they fell short once again.

So, what about changes for next year? As far as I am concerned, Keep Wright and Reyes in the infield, keep this kid Daniel Murphy in the outfield and keep Santana and Pelfrey as two key pitchers. This doesn’t mean that everyone else should be traded but I would see what you can get. I certainly think they need to get younger. That means that Delgado, Castillo, Alou, even Taits (who did an amazing job filling in) need to go. They need to get at least one more starter (I would not pay what Ollie is going to cost, I don’t know about Maine and I would dump Pedro). If the Mets could sign CC, that would give them a strong 1-2-3 punch. And, I certainly would revamp the bullpen, from top to bottom. I do not think Wagner is coming back and even if he did, I think they need a new closer. And, I would get rid of Minaya.

The last thing I would like to see happen, but I know it won’t, is for me to give up on this team, stop following them and not let them do this sort of thing to me anymore.

Due to the upcoming holidays, I probably will not be posting over the next couple of days but I will be entering a new post shortly after that making an argument for Santana as NL Cy Young Award winner. It won’t happen but he certainly deserves it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Baseball is now dead to me.

Until the playoffs.