Sunday, September 7, 2008

Deja Vu All Over Again

Well, it is not as bad as last year at this time, at least night yet, but that is the way it feels. It was last year around this time that the Phillies swept a three game series from the Mets at Shea and that started the Mets downward spiral into a collapse of epic and historical proportions.

Apparently Mike Schmidt, now an instructor for the Phillies, told the team before heading to Shea thaty they were in the Mets head because of the sweep last year. For a number of reasons, I disagreed. The Mets are playing better baseball right now and have had the Phillies number. Even with Friday’s loss, I still remained calm. After all, it was a pitching gem.

Yesterday was rained out and they are making the game up with a day-night double header today. I am bothered that the Mets lost the first game and now I am a little concerned. Pedro was hit, and hit hard and the Mets showed no offense until the eighth inning. Normally, with Johan Santana on the mount tonight I would feel comfortable. The problem is the Mets have not been hitting and Cole Hammels is pitching for the Phillies. He is a big game pitcher and going for the sweep tonight, for a tie for first place with the Mets, I think qualifies as a “Big Game”.

Hopefully when I sit down to type out a post tomorrow I will be able to say I worried for nothing. That is what I am hoping will happen. Still, the fact is, I am worried.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: