Monday, September 17, 2007

I Missed Something

What did I miss? I do not understand this. I watched the start of the Met game and saw the Mets jump out early. They took a 3-0 lead after a half an inning. They were up four to nothing against a subpar team when I stepped away to put my son to bed.

I was feeling pretty good. They were playing a weak team and they were beating up on the team. They were taking out their frustrations after losing three in a row to Philadelphia at Shea over the weekend (and for losing the last eight games they have played against them). All was right with the world.

After my son was in bed, I came back to the game and saw the Mets were losing 5-4. WHAT?!?!?!?! WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!?! It is not like the Washington Nationals are a good team. They have scored the lowest number of runs in the National League. Somehow, however, not only did the Mets let them get back in the ballgame, they actually let the Nats take a 5-4 lead.

It did not stop there. The Nationals actually scored 12 unanswered runs, 12! Washington went on to win the game 12-4.

Do the Mets look like a first place team? Do they seem like a team that could get to the World Series, let alone win it? I said it a couple of times before, but once again, someone has to light a fire under them. Someone has got to lash into them so bad that the players actually fear for their safety. Someone has to get the Mets on the right track and playing good baseball.

On top of everything else, the Phillies won again, leaving the Mets magic number at 11 and closing the gap to three behind the first place Mets. Is it really possible the Mets could not finish in first place? Stanger things have happened so these guys better wake up, and fast.

The Phils did try to help the Mets out, but failed. After jumping to an 11-0 lead, the Phillies let the cards back in it but ultimately held on to win 13-11. Hey Mets, you could learn something from those guys. They did hold on afterall.

No comments: