Saturday, September 22, 2007

Met-Less

For the first time in a long time I had a 24+ hour break from the New York Mets and it felt wonderful. Friday night and Saturday marked the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, the holiest day on the Jewish calendar. I was in synagogue for a good portion of the time and really did not think about the Mets or follow anything about them for Friday night’s game as well as Saturday’s game. Considering all they have put me through lately, it felt good to go Metless for a day.

I did pick up the paper this morning to see if I could get a score for Friday night’s game. Due to a rain delay, the paper did not have the final. I really was fine with this. I could have asked at services today and gotten a score (I know where the Met fans sit) but I made a conscious decision not to, to focus on my prayers.

This evening, upon coming home and breaking my fast, I did check the computer and found out that the Mets won both games, Friday and Saturday. That was a nice feeling, to see that the Mets won both of the games and knocked their magic number down to seven. With eight games left, it is nice to know that the Mets still control their own destiny. They can clinch even if Philadelphia wins every game they have left.

I would prefer if it did not take that long, if the Phils helped us out and started losing some games. I really do not want to wait until the penultimate game of the season for the Mets to clinch. Still, we can do it. We control our fate.

I took a little time away and now I am reading to start following once again. Hopefully we handle the Marlins as easily tomorrow as they did today and reduce the magic number to at least six (and five if Washington wants to help us out and do to the Phillies what they did to the Mets.

Fasten your seatbelts, I have a feeling this will be a fascinating last week of the season.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: