Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A Win, Yeah!

Did my eyes and ears deceive me or did the Mets actually win a game? Did my eyes and ears deceive me or did the Mets actually play a good ballgame. Did my eyes and ears deceive me or did the Mets actually reduce their magic number to 10?

After suffering through five almost unbearable losses, it was nice to see the Mets do things right for a change. Mike Pelfrey, while not great, was certainly effective enough and did what he had to do, When Pelfrey got into a jam (in part helped by an error by Carlos Beltran in Center), Sosa looked great in bailing him out. Sosa came in with runners on first and third and no one out. He threw four pitches, recorded three outs and did not allow anyone to score. Well done.

The offense also came to life. I actually almost heaved a sigh of relief when the Mets did not score a run in the first inning. It changed things up a little. I occasionally play poker and we have this unwritten rule, belief, superstition, call it what you will, that the person who wins the first hand usually ends up losing money for the evening. After jumping out to leads of 3-0 and 4-0 after the first half inning the previous two days, today they did not score in the first. I actually took it as a good omen. The Mets went on to win. So, now the magic number is at ten and if St. Louis helps us out, it would be doen to nine.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: