Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Counting Down!

Having worked in Florida, I joke that I worked there for two years, one month, 12 days, 14 hours, seven minutes and 21 seconds. I could not wait to get out of the county where I worked, or the state in general. Time is very important. As a Met fan, I am counting down the days until the start of the regular season. I am even counting down the days until the start of the first Spring Training game. Are you?

When you go to a game, do you want to make sure to be there on time? Early? It is amazing how time has shaped our perception of things from work to being a sports fan (just look at how advertisers determine the start of the sports event). Time, and as a result clocks, are important.

Knowing the precise time has become an art and further shapes our perception. I was fascinated to learn that the technology was actually developed in the late 1940’s to be able to know the exact time.

For those of you who don’t think it is important, I have a little test for you. Look at your clock or watch and now say, out loud, as if you were talking to your computer, the current time.

Very Good!

Now, did you round it off to the nearest five minutes like we often did before the days of digital clocks and watches becoming popular or did you say the exact time, such as 9:33 instead of “about 9:30”? I would guess most of you said the exact time.

So remember, as of the posting of this, it is five days, 17 hours, 28 minutes and 24 seconds until the Mets first exhibition game this year!

No comments: