Monday, February 18, 2008

Home Opener

As a follow-up to yesterdays post, I was doing a little more checking and I can come up with a possible reason why Willie Randolph might want to start Pedro Martinez on opening day instead of Johan Santana.

The Mets open the season in Florida, on the road. Assuming they carry five starters, and it would be silly if they did anything else, the pitcher who starts game 2 in Florida would be scheduled to pitch the home opener. Certainly I can understand wanting Johan Santana to pitch the home opener.

Still, I let Johan pitch opening day. There are a few off days and there could be rain outs. In the old days, a five man rotation would often start out as a four man rotation in April (because of all the rainouts) and then add a fifth starter in May. I think the rotation can be set so that Santana pitches opening day for the Mets as well as the home opener for the Mets.

Again, I have nothing against the other Met pitchers but Santana is the crowned jewel, the one missing piece to the puzzle. He should be shown that respect. He deserves it and ultimately, I think Willie will do this.

By the way, if by pitching Santana on opening day, the Mets cannot do anything to have him pitch the home opener, I still say he should be given the ball for the first game of the season.

No comments: