Saturday, February 2, 2008

Now Pitching And Batting Ninth, Number 57

Its official, the Mets got Johan Santana. I am thrilled and yet I have so many different reactions and thoughts. The following is a list of just some of them:

1. It is great to see Santana wearing a Met uniform. The Mets needed a star pitcher and signing Santana got them what they needed and now makes them the team to beat in the NL East, and probably in the NL.

2. No baseball player is worth that kind of money. 23 million dollars a year for throwing a stupid baseball?! I know Santana is the best and even that Barry Zito set the market price last year. Still, while I don’t fault Santana for getting what he could, the salaries should not be this high


3. I am hypocritical. I wanted the Mets to get Santana, but I do not think anyone in baseball is worth this kind of money. Still, if the Mets did not pay it, someone else would have.

4. I was getting a little nervous Friday. I had been checking the Mets website for the past couple of days and saw no movement with everyone coming to terms. I had this vision of the Mets coming so close and then not being able to get it down.

5. was very grateful for the internet so I could easily keep tabs on the progress of the deal


6. I think we may live in an age where information is too accessible. Being able to check the internet kept me constantly checking on Thursday and Friday. That got in the way of other things I needed to get done and I kept thinking maybe I was better off when you had to get a television or radio report and you had to wait for certain times of the day.

7. As I said before, I am hypocritical!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are correct in stating that no player is worth that kind of money. Even if Santana puts ten thousand more fans in the stands each time he pitches and even if they all buy a lot of hot dogs, beers and caps, pay for parking (ha) and programs AND the Mets play more home games in the post-season it still doesn't add up to 25 million. That being said, it is the cost of doing business. If you want to have a cable network, compete with the Yanks, not to mention the Braves and the Phils, and be a legitimate contending big league franchise then you make this move. I, for one, am grateful we have ownership willing to make this move instead of the infamous M. Donald Grant, who lost Tom Seaver over a five hundred thousand a year salary because he didn't believe ballplayers were worth more than guys on Wall street. Yep, thirty years later and I still can't resist taking a swipe at him, the man who stole my childhood innocence and forever chanced the way I look at sports. Now, if I could only work that scoundrel Dick Young (former columnist and Grant crony that also contributed to driving Seaver out of town)into this post I'd be on to something. Looks like I am.

Let's not pop the champagne yet, though, Martinez is still an unknown, the back of the rotation is questionable, and if we have the chance to pick up another arm we should just for insurance, although I still think it is time to give Pelfrey the five spot and see what he is. Now if you can tell me which Delgado is going to show up this year I'd feel a lot better about our bats.

Texmet out.