Monday, July 9, 2007

All-Star Break Time

Well, the all-star game is here and there are a number of thoughts running through my head. First, I am pleased the Mets are in first place in the NL east at the break. Second, I am disappointed they have not been as dominate a team as I had hoped they would be.

In terms of the all-star game itself, I am pleased that three Mets will be starting. I am very curious to see how Jose Reyes will do. If Wright and Beltran come through like they did last year and Billy Wagner gets to come in late in the game, perhaps the NL can finally win one of these. Growing up, it was the AL who never could win, now the tables have been turned.

In a non-related Met thought about the all-star game, I am actually pleased to see Barry Bonds starting. I know all about the whole steroid controversy, but Bonds is a great player. With the game in San Francisco this year, it is fitting for him to be in the game. The fact that he is starting is even more fitting. In terms of the whole steroids controversy, I think Cal Ripkin Jr. put it best when he said even if you do not like the man, having him break the record still gives you a chance to celebrate the actual record itself and the accomplishments of the Hank Aaron, the man who’s record will ultimately be beat.

I still do not like the fact that this is not a purely exhibition game, that home field advantage for the World Series rests on the outcome. Still, I am looking forward to the game and hope it is a good one.

No comments: