Friday, July 27, 2007

What Happened?!?

Yesterday’s loss was one of those real difficult games. If we look at it in terms of the entire series, in terms of how they have been doing since the All-Star break and the fact that they are still in first place, then the feeling is, “It was only one game”. The problem is, it is very difficult for me to view the game in that light.

I went home for lunch yesterday and turned on the game with the Mets still leading 1-0. I saw the bat and ball come at Oliver Perez and Pittsburgh but a runner on first. I saw David Wright leap for the ball of the bat of the pitcher and Jose Reyes try and throw him out, with neither being successful. I saw Perez mishandled a bunt, throw the ball away, and let the Pirates tie the score.

The amazing thing about this was Perez almost got out of this with the score tied. Then the wheels came off. After Perez gave up five unearned runs, which was a little deceiving, the bullpen did nothing to hold them. The Mets were not able to get the necessary offense and in the end, the Mets were not able to sweep the Pirates.

From a psychological point of view, it probably would have been easier to stomach the Mets losing a middle game of the series but winning the ones on either side. Of course, that eliminates any chance of a sweep.

I said coming into this stretch that I really felt the Mets needed, or should be able, to take five out of six games from the Pirates and Nationals. Yesterday’s loss has me a little disgusted but I am still hopeful of that and they certainly still have a real possibility to accomplish it.

No comments: