Monday, July 2, 2007

Reflections on Glavine

The more I watch Tom Glavine pitch this season, the more frustrated I become. I realize in last night’s game, Glavine only had one bad inning, and outside of that he only gave up three hits. I realize Glavine is closing in on 300 wins and has been one of the best pitchers around. I also do not like to be a ‘what have you done for me lately’ type of fan. I realize Glavine’s greatness (although his numbers were clearly much better in Atlanta than they have been with the Mets). I would love to see him win 300 games and it has been pointed out, if and when he does, he may well be the last pitcher to reach that milestone.

With all this being said, I still do not feel comfortable with Glavine on the mound. He has had a number of bad starts this season (today’s game, the 7/2 game among them). Even in the games where he has not pitched poorly, it seems that whenever the Mets score a run, Glavine more often than not has been letting the opposing team get at least part of it back the very next inning. I just no longer feel comfortable with Glavine on the mound.

I can understand him wanting to hang around until he gets number 300. I can even understand the Mets wanting him to do it with them. I think once he reaches that goal, it is time to retire. I do not think he has much left to offer and he should look to hang up a great career. If he gets his 300th win, unless things really turn around, I do not know I would keep him on the post season roster (assuming they get that far).

To Tom Glavine, in all seriousness, I say thanks for all you provided to me as a fan. I hope you are remembered for your greatness and not for hanging around for win 300.

No comments: