Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Deadline Looms

So, Luis Castillo is in a Met uniform. I have mixed reactions about Castillo playing for the Mets. There are a couple of blogs out there that talk about this deal. In favor of the trade is the author of the Mets Lifers blog ( MetsLifers.blogspot.com ). The Mets Today blog , on the other hand is opposed to the deal, or at the very least questions the need.

I like Castillo but think right now they also need to find a way to play Rueben Gotay, who has just been tearing it up. I ask, only part in jest, if Gotay can play left field in case Alou isn’t able to get back to form, or play right to spell Shawn Green?

The bottom line, however, is I have been underwhelmed with what the Mets have done so far. The biggest need is pitching, and starting pitching at that. There has been little movement on that front. They have been looking to relief helped, but I am not sure why. Part of this is, I am a throwback to another time and hate this approach of six innings out of a starter and, in effect, a closer to pitch the seventh, a different closer for the eighth and a “true closer” for the ninth. When did it become that a relief pitcher, or at least a good one, could only give you one inning.

Still, even using this approach, with Feliciano, Heilman and Wagner in the pen, as well as Aaron Sele as a long man, there bullpen is not in bad shape.

I understand that the players need to be available and that you do not want to pay too much, I agree. Still, when I see some of the moves the Braves are making, in terms of Teixera and possibly Dotal (a former Met), I keep hoping to see the Mets make a major move. Maybe they will, I know there is still some time, I just keep hoping.

I would love to see Dontrel Willis come to the Mets. I know he is not on the trading block, and if he were, I don’t know what he would cost, I know he is not having agood season. Still, based on some of the things I have seen on the net (I know, not always the most reliable source, II think if the right deal were offered, The Marlins would pull the trigger.

Well, there is not much time left, hopefully something good will happen for the Mets, and hopefully Tom Glavine picks up win number 300 tonight.

Let’s go Mets!

No comments: