Thursday, July 19, 2007

A Come From Behind Loss

Well, it looked as though the Mets were showing signs of returning to last years form. After being dominated for most of the game, after being dominated by Greg Maddux and unable to do anything with him for the first half of the game, the Mets finally came through.

They were down 4-1, when they finally put something together. David Wright’s eighth inning homerun, coupled with the good victory the Mets had the previous night, had me counting my chickens before they hatched. Then, unfortunately, reality set in.

This is not last year’s team, I was counting my chickens before they hatched and what’s the big deal about momentum anyway. Joe Smith, who has looked excellent and looked like he belonged in the Major Leagues, gave up a run in the bottom of the eighth. So much for holding the lead, even for just one inning.

With that eighth inning run scored by the Padres, any hope of the Mets winning, and momentum the Mets had, was gone. The Padres went on to win the game and this Met fan, and I’m sure countless other ones, went to bed frustrated.

I think Ron Darling and Gary Cohen said it best when they said last year, when the Mets were losing late in the game, you often had the feeling they would pull it out. This year, while they certainly can, you don’t have that comfortable feeling, you don’t feel like it really will happen.

I hope I get that feeling back and that the Mets give me reason to get the feeling back

No comments: