Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The West Coast

As the Mets start another West Coast swing, I think back to when I was a child, following them, having to listen to most ballgames on radio. I hated West Coast trips. I used to stay up until 10 or 11 at night for the start of the game (at that time, and 8PM start was not unusual). I would force myself to stay up, sometimes stretched out on the floor, sometimes doing homework while listening, but always listening.

It always seemed to happen that when they were on the West Coast, they would play long, extra inning games. I remember saying that I would stay up until a certain inning, lets say the 15th, and if it was still tied, I would turn the radio off and go to sleep. That was what would usually happen, it would 2:30AM and the score would be tied after 15 innings. I would finally turn the radio off and go to sleep.

Invariably, I would wake up the next morning, or technically that morning, and turn on the radio, yes, in part to get a final score if I could, but more importantly to see if the game was still going on because the tie had not been broken. It never happened that when I work up around 7AM that the game was still going on. Of course, at this time, I was not always able to even get a final score. Yes the West Coast could be very frustrating.

Yesterday, I actually was awake well past the end of the game. I had a number of things to do, so actually at times, I did not even have the game on, other times it was just background noise. Yes, there were some innings I followed, but not all. I guess I have come a long way.

As for the game itself, the Mets have still have a winning record since the All-Star break and that is good. Unfortunately, they have not looked like the dominant team they are in any of these games (well, maybe one). Yesterday, once again, they had their chances and failed to capitalize. These are the games I would like to see them win because these could well be the teams they will be playing in post season. Well, right now, all I can do is watch and cheer for them, and that is just what I am doing.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: