Thursday, July 12, 2007

Day-Night Doubleheaders-- YUCK!

As we get set to start the second half of the season, I find myself thinking back to a game at the end of the first half. Well, it actually was not one game, it was two games—the day, night doubleheader the Mets played against the Philadelphia Phillies.

Let me be clear on this. I HATE the idea of day-night double headers. The idea of a doubleheader used to be a reward to the fans, like going to a double feature. You pay one fair and get twice the value. These games used to be big during holidays when many people had the day off from work. You would relax with an afternoon doubleheader since you had all this free time.

Now baseball has become to much of a money grubbing industry. First they pretty much did away with doubleheaders. Why give fans two games for the price of one when you could get the money for both games. I believe a couple of rainouts one season forced a need for a doubleheader. Still, instead of going back to the way things used to be, they decided to play two games in one day but charge admission for both. So the fans come in for a day game and when it is over, the leave. Then fans come in for a night game, different fans, and they pay for that night game. Where is the justice to the baseball fans?

It is not only the baseball fans who are treated unfairly by this approach, the players are as well. I’m surprised the players union, for as powerful as it is, hasn’t done anything. I do not mind working day shifts as I have the evenings free. I do not mind working evening shifts, as I have the day free. I hate working split shifts. Either a stay in the office during the downtime, I leave and come back. Even if I opt for the later, I am still not able to do much. Both my morning and evening are taken up and I am not comfortable running errands in between for fear I will not be done in time.

The day-night doubleheader is a terrible idea and I hope baseball does away with it soon.

No comments: