Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Another Loss

Another loss for the Mets!

Again, I did not see much of yesterday’s game but I did see some of it and there were some things that definitely struck me. First of all, it was nice to see Ryan Church hit a homerun in the first inning and get the Mets off to a fast start. What struck me, however, was the lack of excitement that it generated on the bench.

I did not see Reyes do any one of a number of dances with Church. I saw players high five Church, but that was about it. There was no excitement, no spirit in this team. I realize it was only the first inning but, it would have been great to see them get excited about an early homerun and build on that momentum.

Nelson Figueroa showed why he was not expected to be in the Mets plans this season. Sure he had that great first outing but after that, he has not shown too much. I cannot get too annoyed with him because he was not supposed to be in this role, he is filling in for the injured Pedro Martinez. Still, I thought Figueroa had nothing yesterday.

Then there was the hitting, or more appropriately the lack thereof. I know Beltran did not play yesterday but this team still has to hit and with Reyes, Delgado, Church, Alou and Wright, they should be able to. The team could not seem to buy a base hit with men on base.

Yesterday’s game showed a mediocre team with little spirit or heart getting beat. It seems like there have been a number of games like that. I just keep hoping that they can turn it around and start dominating. Maybe they will or maybe that will be my hope for the entire season.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: