Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Baseball Speech

I have been a baseball fan for years. I follow the game and understand. As a result, it is always enjoyable when, in the Public Speaking class I teach, a student delivers a speech about baseball. I have had students talk about the rules, about pitching and about hitting. It is always fun when I get to learn some new things as well.

Recently a student gave a speech about how to increase bat speed. By having another student in the class swing the bat, the student gave pointers as to what you do to pick up speed, thus allowing you to drive the ball further. Although most aspects of the speech were related to the mechanics of swinging a bat, the student did point out the proper footwear , and dress also made a difference.

I have had other students deliver speeches about other sports, ranging from rugby to volleyball , and everything in-between. Often times, for these speeches, and non-sports related ones as well, students bring in props or objects needed for the game. I wonder how many students actually have these items and how many, if any need to buy them. If they need to get them, I do hope they are able to find good deals, maybe find discount promotional codes and sales promotions. Obviously, if they have the objects, or can get them for free, that is the ideal for the student. Still, I know many of my students actually purchase items for a speech they have to do, so why not look for the best possible deal.

No comments: