Thursday, May 22, 2008

An Open Apology

On March 27, I posted an entry where I criticized a local sports columnist for predicting the Mets for third place. I said his arguments did not make any sense and this was a First place team. Well, I need to apologize to a number of people.

First I apologize to the columnist who made the comment. Obviously he knew something I didn’t. This team is looking like a third place team at best. I need to apologize to the fans for suggesting the Mets were actually good and that even finishing in First this year was not acceptable, they needed to go to the World Series. Most importantly I need to apologize to the Mets.

I thought these players had talent. More than that, I thought they had heart. Even David Wright is questioning that right now. I thought the Mets would have been embarrassed following last year historic collapse. I thought they would have wanted to prove it was a fluke. Obviously I was wrong. They are content to leave with mediocrity and they are content to disappoint there fans.

After sweeping a rain shortened two game set from the Yankees, they have lost three straight to the Atlanta Braves and they have been outplayed in every way in each of the games. They have thrown away any momentum that they had. Even a win tonight mean nothing. It will avoid the sweep but even if it weren’t Johan on the mound, losing three out of four to the Braves, playing the way they have been playing and losing four of seven to last place team at Shea before heading on the road to play the Yankees is not acceptable.

The bottom line is the Mets are playing so poorly for one of two reasons. The first one is that they are just not as talented as we thought. They are not as good as they look on paper. If they are a talented bunch, then they are under performing and underachieving. That means they aren’t playing with heart. Either way, I overestimated this team.

So, once again, I apologize to everyone, especially the Met players for thinking you were a group of talented, hard working, caring individuals, looking to please the fans and yourselves. I will try not to make that mistake again.

No comments: