Thursday, May 29, 2008

Two In A Row

It appears as thought the Mets have finally woken up. I hesitate to say that because they have toyed with us before only to show us they are not yet ready for prime time. I do think it is different this time and in large part it is because of who has been coming through in the clutch.

The backup players have been getting us the victory. It is obvious that Chavez’s struggles were due to a lack of playing time. Willie needs to find a way to make sure he continues to get Endy some at-bats. Fernando Tatis looks rejuvenated. While he should remain a bench player, Willie needs to make sure to get him his at-bats.

With backup players producing it can help the regulars relax and play better. In addition, if the regulars don’t produce, then you can get your backup players in the game.

As for the game itself, I did not see much of it, just a couple of innings at the start and the bottom of the 12th (actually after the Mets had runners on first and third). I had a meeting so I missed most of the game and when the meeting ended, I needed to return a call from my sister. My nephew picked up the phone and asked if I was watching the Met game and he told me what was going on. I quickly turned on the game.

What I disliked about this game was the pitching performance of Oliver Perez. He needs to start producing (he sure is getting paid enough). Every time the Mets gave him a lead, he could not hold it. He left on the losing side of the game. As a side note, another frustrating thing about this game is Sanchez getting the victory. He gives up a homerun to the Marlins in the top of the 12th (I believe the only inning he pitched) and was set to be the losing pitcher. Because the Mets came back in the bottom of the inning, he ends up getting the ‘W’.

What I liked about this game was not only the heart the Mets showed but the excitement they showed when they won. This is what has been lacking all year. This team is not getting itself pumped and that has led to them losing games, at least that is my take. To see them play like they really want it and then to see the reaction afterwards of a group of people who obtained what they truly wanted, was great.

Still, they have toyed with us before. I said before they really need to get on a strong winning streak. Hopefully this is just the start.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: