Monday, May 5, 2008

Not A Stellar Pitching Matchup

On paper it should have been a great pitching duel. Looking at the pitching lines, it may have even come across that way. Still, somehow the game left me feeling a little flat. Yes, we took two out of three from the Diamondbacks; yes we continued our dominance in Arizona at the BOB (or whatever it is now called); yes the Mets appeared to have more life than in previous games. Still, things did not feel right.

Both pitchers went six innings, only six innings. These were probably the two most sought after pitchers on the trade market last year. Looking at what the ERA for the entire game would have been, Santana was 1.5 and Haren was 3.0. Neither pitcher has anything to be ashamed about but it just did not come across as that pitchers duels so many of us thought we might see. I do want to see Santana step it up a little, and honestly, I want to see the Mets step it up a little.

Well, the bottom line is the did come away with a win. I hope this gives them some momentum to really get on a roll. Unfortunately, that has yet to happen this year and really never did last year. I am still waiting to see the Mets be the dominate team in the NL East and I have not yet seen it. I can still hope!

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: