Tuesday, May 6, 2008

He's Getting Too Much Money

There was a time when a West Coast Met game meant I was staying up late. When I was in elementary school, I pushed it until as late as I could. Sometimes I caught the entire game, other times I turned in before the game was completed. In High School and College I pretty much stayed up to watch the entire game.

Nowadays, sometimes I have to give in to my body and I am unable to watch the games. Yesterday’s game was one where not only did I not watch the entire game, I didn’t watch any of it. Still, I read about it and all that jumps into my mind every time I hear that Ollie pitched, or is going to pitch is, six and a half million dollars. That was what some arbitrator decided he was worth. I was shocked then and I am still shocked and disgusted now.

When Perez takes the mound, you never know what you are going to get. This season, although it is still early, I think he has been more erratic than last year. Yes, I’ve heard how he barred down yesterday after getting hit with the ball but the bottom line is, he still allowed three homeruns and five runs to score.

The Mets still need Oliver Perez. He still can be a dominant pitcher. But, he is no 6.5 million dollar pitcher and yesterday’s game (as well as the one before that) just proved it.

Hopefully Nelson Figueroa fairs better today and the Mets get a ‘W’.

Let’s Go Mets!

No comments: